There are a number of ways your family can meet Head Start eligibility requirements
Below are some general guidelines for your reference. If you have any questions regarding eligibility, contact Dawn Adams at 541-323-6543 or email@example.com.
To apply for NeighborImpact’s Head Start program:
- you must live in Crook or Deschutes county
- your child must be age 3 or 4 by September 1st of the current school year
- your family must meet specific income or other eligibility requirements
Income eligibility is based on 12 months of income (either the 12 months prior to application or the last calendar year). Your child may be eligible for Head Start if your family’s gross annual income does not exceed 100% of the federal poverty guidelines for family size. Income we must consider is gross cash income, and includes earned income, military income (including pay and allowances), veterans’ benefits, Social Security benefits, unemployment compensation and public assistance benefits. It also includes child support, and cash income received in the form of grants, scholarships and assistanceships.
If you do not meet income requirements for Head Start, your child may still be eligible if he or she:
- is living in foster care
- is living in a family that receives an ongoing cash assistance Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) grant.
- is living in a family that receives the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- is living in a household with a family member who is supported by the income of parents or guardians who received Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- lacks a regular fixed adequate nighttime residence, and meets the definition of homeless children or unaccompanied youth in the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
Head Start reserves 10% of available slots for children with disabilities who qualify for Early Childhood Special Education.
There are circumstances that permit the Head Start Program staff to enroll children who demonstrate the need for Head Start, but do not meet eligibility requirements and are from families whose income exceeds the poverty guidelines.
Fill out and submit an online Head Start/OPK/Early Head Start pre-application
Download a printable Head Start or
Early Head Start pre-application: English / Español